Department of Biochemistry
Biochemistry is a preclinical department which is functioning from the inception of this college under the Pune University, subsequently under North Maharashtra University and presently under MUHS Nashik. This department has always been actively participated in curricular, para-curricular activities and research activities.
The Department of Biochemistry in Shri BhausahebHire Government Medical College is a well equipped department. It has modern technology and equipment used in its clinical biochemistry laboratory. It caters to the functions of Medical College General Hospital and serves to supports the needs of all patients seeking medical help from surrounding Dhule and North Maharashtra area. Its student laboratory is well equipped. The department is looked after and administered by well qualified and dedicated staff. The facilities provided by the department are to fulfill needs of students to make them well trained medical and paramedical professionals.
One of the major missions of the department is to provide high quality education to undergraduate students and to start post graduation and other allied health education courses in Biochemistry.
With the constant advancement of information and knowledge in the subject of Biochemistry, it is the need of the hour to stay updated and serve the patients in more efficient and affordable manner. It is the mission of the department to adopt modern technology in up-gradation of laboratory services with high quality.
It is also a major mission of the department to maintain high quality of research in Biochemistry with ultra-modern scientific instruments and equipment.
Since our institution is a tertiary centre in health care, we dream to have our laboratories equipped with most advanced ultra-modern technology and state of the art scientific instruments for patient care as well as for UG and PG teaching.
In addition to the routine, standard methods used for diagnostic laboratory investigations, highly advanced and specialized laboratory investigations for molecular diagnosis like PCR, automated electrophoresis, chromatography, chemiluminessence, enzyme immuno-assays and other latest biochemical techniques.
The Department should have faculty improvement programs to make the department modern. It is the dream of the department to train the staff both teaching and technical persons to handle and operate the highly sophisticated and sensitive instruments and equipment.
The vision of the department is also to start facilities of research and service regarding biochemical basis of inherited disorders with their associated sequel; environmental health hazards; cancer and carcinogenesis.
It is also a broad vision of the department to carryout basic as well as applied research work with community based approach.
Functions & Objectives:
a) Objectives :
1. To upgrade present medical education standards to keep pace with developing knowledge and information in Biochemistry subject.
2. Initiate newer medical and allied courses both at UG and PG level.
3. To upgrade the present clinical biochemistry laboratory to latest available state of the art technology in patient ;care at tertiary level hospital.
4. Establishment of well equipped research laboratory for research work in Biochemistry as well as to undertake inter-disciplinary research projects in allied subjects.
5. Awareness creation in general public regarding importance and role of biochemistry in community health.
Awards & Achievements:
1. Professor and Head, Dr V. R. Bhagwat, is Awarded FABMS title by Indian Association of Biomedical Sciences during 36th Annual Conference of IABMS, held at Pondicherry University on 17th Dec 2015.
2. Dr V. R. Bhagwat is elected as Vice-President of Indian Association of Biomedical Sciences for the term of 2019-2021.
3. Department teaching staff has more than 60 publications in various national and international journals.
4. Teaching staff of the department have attended and presented research papers in state as well as national level conferences.
5. Dr V. R. Bhagwat is working as regular editorial board member of eight national scientific as well as international journals.
6. External Quality Assurance program for clinical Biochemistry laboratories co-ordinated at national level by CMC Vellore is successfully conducted since last 10 years.
7. MUHS examination results of I MBBS in Biochemistry are consistently high and ranges from 76 to 100 % in every examination since last 5 years.